From the Héraðsskólinn Historic Guesthouse twebsite:
Héraðsskólinn is located in the heart of the Golden Circle in the small town of Laugarvatn, only an hour away from Reykjavik Built in 1928 by one of the most loved politicians in Iceland with a great help from the most amazing architect to be a center of culture and education, Héraðsskólinn was the place were Halldór Laxness our Nobel prize winning writer wrote his most famous book Independent People in Room 12 on the 3rd floor of the building.
The school was redecorated in 2013 with mostly original furniture and pieces to restore its amazing history and culture for our guests.
Our little light pollution and dark nights during the winter make it possible for you to enjoy the northern lights through your window as you rest after the day or simply walk out and enjoy the night sky in all its glory. There is no need to order a bus tour, drive yourself around or do anything when it comes to the Northern Lights at our place. Simply walk out and enjoy the wonderful color show in the sky.
Your ALL-INCLUSIVE fee covers:
- Accommodation for 5 days/4 nights
- Three delicious, locally sourced meals per day (beginning with dinner on Jan 2 and ending with breakfast on Jan 6, including one group meal at the Fontana Hot Springs Restaurant)
- Shuttle transportation to and from the retreat location from either Reykjavik or Keflavik Airport (some coordination required)
- ALL writing sessions and workshops
- Personally tailored one-on-one sessions with both Nancy and Kathy
It DOESN’T include:
- Travel to/from Iceland
- Additional excursions
- Entrance fee to soak in Fontana Hot Springs (though you will receive a 10% discount as a guest of the retreat)
- Special dietary needs (most can be accommodated for a fee)
- Heath/travel insurance
- A guarantee to see the Northern Lights
$500 Deposit to reserve your spot!
“There are a variety of sleeping options bedrooms in Heradolksi, the stunning converted schoolhouse-turned guesthouse. The bedrooms are arranged on two floors—no elevators. The rooms have views of Laugarvatn Lake and Hekla volcano. They also offer easy access to our large balconies, ideal spots for catching the northern lights. You can choose between private rooms with shared or private facilities. The rooms are nice and cozy with a bright interior, a sitting area and a desk with a view over Laugarvatn or the mountain area around.”
*Please note that all room assignments will be made on a first-come, first-served basis.
Single or Double Room with Private, En suite Bathroom (3 available)
Single Occupancy—limited: $1899.00
Bring a friend – Separate or Double Bed: $1,599.00 per person
Single or Double Room with Shared Bathroom (4 available)
Single Occupancy—limited: $1775,00
Bring a friend – Separate or Double Beds: $1,499.00 per person
Payment Schedule & Cancellation Policy
- A $500 deposit is due at the time of registration to reserve your place.
- 50% of remaining balance due on or before September 1st, 2020.
- Remaining balance is due on or before November 1st, 2020 (you may opt to pay the entire balance at any time before Nov 1st if you wish).
- 100% refund of deposit (minus PayPal fees) before Sept. 1st, 2020
- 50% refund of deposit (minus PayPal fees) before Oct. 1st, 2020
- Please note: After Oct. 1st, 2020 no refunds can be made. In some extenuating circumstances, a credit may be applied to a future retreat.
$500 deposit to hold your spot!
Back to Fire and Ice: Flash Fiction in Iceland’s Magical Winter Main Page
Frequently Asked Questions